Saturday, October 25, 2008

Kajiwara Eiko's Guide to 13 Boys.

Oh wait, sorry, that was the one i wrote... the one i wanted to review was this.

Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys.
This was one of the (four perfectly-perfect condition book that sent me to heaven) books i bought at the MPH Warehouse Sales.
It cost RM10, but the lady was nice enough to give me an additional RM2 off, making it RM8.
I love sales!

I like the sound of the summary from the back of the book, but initially i was afraid it would be like one of those stories where the ending totally puts you off (sorry, as much as i love Meg Cabot, her Ready or Not: An All-American Girl Novel's ending is totally... horrible), but because it was so cheap (RM8!! Can you believe it??), i bought it anyways. I also hoped it would help inspire my ever-dying "writing-stories-cells" as well.

Seriously, something is wrong with me. I love writing stories - though i never finish any - but at least i used to be able to write a good 10 chapters before i stop writing... but nowadays, i struggle to even finish one chapter, so something is definitely wrong with me (when hasn't it?).

Sidetracked.
ANYWAYS... so i didn't put any "high hopes" when i started the book. Besides, i've read enough teenage "struggle-through-high-school-story" enough to last me a lifetime. I can even predict the storyline before i even start the book. You can say it's one of my Alice-traits.

But what surprised me was this book isn't "that" bad, i wouldn't put it in the same league as Harry Potter or the Twilight series, but it's definitely better than most of the "teen-struggle-through-high-school-story" i've read!
The ending is a bit shabby (i prefer a precise clear-cut ending then the "hanging" type), but i can live through it, it has been a rather interesting read after all!
Oh, and i finish it in on day, em... 5 hours maybe? Yeah i know, i'm a slow-reader, don't rub it in.

That said, the whole plot is horribly alike Meg Cabot's Teen Idol... or well, maybe all those teen "struggle-through-high-school-story" are pretty much the same. I wouldn't know (if it's the same), seeing that i rarely adventure out of my "comfort zone" to explore new authors. I only explored this one because it's a new book and it's dirt-cheap!
But i'm glad i had! It's nice!

I think i'm going to re-read the story. Oh yes, the summary to the story:
Megan is used to moving from place to place - it's typical for an army brat. But she drew the line at South Korea. She insisted on staying in the States to finish her last two years of high school. So her parents made arrangements for Megan to live with their friends, the McGowans... and the McGowans' 7 sons.
Actually, there's another paragraph to the story, but i lazy dah, so live with it =P!
Besides, even without me writing the summary, the title kinda says it all don't you think?

But hah, i think i write a better guide than the lead Megan, and i have 13 living proofs to that XD!!

No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=bb275a7ef194bb6f4b248bf8cfa8ff5e